Fryent days

Do you remember your first day at school? I do, or at least I think I do.

Here is what I think I remember:

I am sitting at a desk in a room with a lot of other kids, many of whom are crying, and I am wondering why they are upset. The room has a blackboard at the front and the walls are decorated with brightly coloured pictures. Out of the windows I see a field, with houses in the distance. On each desk is a slate, in a wooden frame, with a kind of pencil made of stone or something. Some kids seem to know what these are for, and are using the strange pencils to scribble on the slates.

A nice lady stands at the front and is talking to us and showing us how  to draw on the slates. Pretty soon I notice that one boy is hiding his slate as he scratches away, occasionally looking round to see if we are watching him. Then he stops and holds up his slate, saying something like “See, I can do real writing. If you can’t do real writing you’d better learn fast or you’ll get the cane.” I am not convinced. After all, I have seen the real thing, and he’s an idiot anyway who I recognise from the prefab estate.

That’s what I genuinely do remember, but the only other event that day is something I definitely do not remember, a tale often told me by my mum, even years later. According to her, when we were let out of school that day she asked me, not unreasonably, well, how did it go. I apparently said is was OK, and by the way, what were we going to do tomorrow? This anecdote seemed to amuse other adults, but to me my response still seems entirely reasonable as nobody had told me I was in for at least sixteen years of schooling.

This composite of real memories and a received story from 1948 came in very handy almost half a century later when I was running training courses for TV journalists at Yorkshire Television and other ITV companies. One of the objectives of the courses was to help print or radio trained journos to think about telling stories with pictures, so I usually kicked off with an ice-breaker which challenged them to tell the story of their first day at school and then come up with a series of images they might use if they were telling that story visually. I chose the topic on the grounds that everyone in the room would have that experience in common, but they would all be different.

To be honest my memories of Fryent Primary are few until I went up from the infant school into the Juniors. I have no clear recollection of being taken to the school by my mum, but there must have come a time when a small group of prefab kids were allowed to walk there and back on our own, probably when we went into the Junior school, when we were seven or eight, some time around 1950 I guess. To get from our prefab estate to the school we had to cross several busy suburban roads, so we must have been road safety savvy from the start, having had it drilled into us beforehand I suppose.

I know this is going to sound a bit grumpy-old-mannish, but I can’t help comparing this experience to present day practice. We now live exactly opposite a primary school in a rural English village, and many of the kids seem to arrive in the air-conditioned luxury of various posh cars. The aim seems to be to get as near to the front door as possible without actually coming into contact with the environment. I once remarked to the head teacher that their ideal would be a drive-through arrangement, like MacDonalds. Fortunately he thought it was funny.

I mention this not only because we live opposite a primary school, but also because it reminds me that when we walked home from Fryent, we passed by the home of a man who used to invite us into his garden and talk to us about his life. He claimed in particular that he had spent many years in the jungle, and that he was the real Tarzan. The reason he was living in suburban obscurity was that he had been ripped off by Edgar Rice- Burroughs. (Burroughs first published his Tarzan comics and books between 1912 and 1914, and the films were box office hits in the thirties, so the story is just about credible.)

Whether or not we had made friends with the real Tarzan, we were not abducted or harmed in any way in three years of unaccompanied walking to school in all kinds of weather. I like to think we were  healthier than some of the kids I see getting out of Chelsea tractors at the school gate these days, and probably more streetwise.

Perhaps the worst thing that happened to me in the junior school was that at the age of eight, my eyesight collapsed as a result of an infection. The first I knew about it was when my mum was called in to the school because I was disrupting classes. It turned out that this was because I could not read the blackboard, and my teacher suspected something was wrong with my eyesight because I was asking other kids what was on the board.

I also remember waking up in the morning unable to open my eyes because they were gummed up with yellow glue. The upshot was that I was taken off to the NHS optician, who held a clinic in Stag Lane, NW9. I am eternally in his debt, as he diagnosed the problem, prescribed some evil-smelling ointment, and when the infection subsided, tested my eyesight regularly over a long period and prescribed a series of spectacles which gradually allowed the muscles in my eyes to rebuild themselves. I wore glasses until I was eighteen. Thank you sir, whoever you were. And thank you NHS, only 3 years old at the time.

I learned later that this man, like many others in medicine at the time, was ex-services, and I clearly remember him ordering me to sit up properly in the chair, and my mum being embarrassed because I was slouching. I remember also the moment when I put on my first pair of NHS glasses and tried to walk along Church Lane. I had got used to having drops put into my eyes to dilate the pupils and seeing the world like an overexposed film, but the shock of being able to see my surroundings in sharp focus again is something I’ll never forget. The only snag was that I couldn’t walk properly because I could no longer judge where the ground was. All I could manage was a kind of goose-step. I think my mum thought I was mucking about again.

All this took time of course, and I missed months of schooling. When I did go back, I was put into a class a year below my former classmates, and I was far from happy, mainly because I had missed out on being with the best liked teacher in the school, Mr. Vallum, who was really cool and played the guitar. Instead I was in Mrs. Ryan’s class, and I thought she was soppy. This probably spurred me on to make great efforts to catch up, which I did by half way through the year, when I was upgraded and put back into my proper year group.

But then I had other health problems. My teeth were apparently not conforming to the generally accepted norms of dental propriety, largely I now suspect because of the cavalier way in which some of them were yanked out at the slightest provocation by the NHS dentist from hell, whose clinic was also in Stag Lane, evidently the local NHS answer to Harley Street. She was a short stout red-faced woman with Scottish accent and a habit of repeatedly ordering “Open Big”, which even I knew was ungrammatical. Things went from bad to worse until the day when she said “bite” before she had removed her finger from my ravaged mouth. So I did. Honestly it was not deliberate, but it did feel quite satisfying. Now I was in real trouble.

By then my remaining teeth were sprouting out in all directions, apparently, so I was measured up for a “plate”, designed to bring them to order. It became the bane of my young life. I eventually got barred from the NHS clinic after throwing the tantrum to end all tantrums and refusing treatment, so I was registered with a suitably stern male private dentist.  My main problem with him was that when I turned up with a damaged plate, he suggested I had broken it playing football. I was offended not by being accused of carelessness, but because of the football reference, a sport which he really ought to have known I hated. Poor research, obviously.

Despite these regrettable setbacks, not to mention the daily torture sessions laughingly known as school dinners (all the stereotypes are true), I managed somehow to get into the top class in time for the eleven plus.


This class was the exclusive domain of possibly the weirdest teacher ever to strut the stage of a primary school assembly hall, and probably one of the best intentioned, I gather. Mr Denny’s pedagogy was built on the three pillars of swot, physical training  (PT) and corporal punishment. Deluded, but according to my mum, a man who meant well.

I did my best! I really did, but however hard I tried, I was always in trouble. The idea that being assaulted by an adult with a cane could enhance learning or understanding in a child remains incomprehensible and repugnant to me, but I think Mr Denny really believed in it. He caned me over twenty times that year, until even my mum found the courage to blow the whistle on him after she noticed my bruises.

Anyway, I managed to sneak through the eleven plus, I gather because marks were added for younger children, and so I was bound for grammar school, where I was never to be caned again. It is ironic that years later my abhorrence of corporal punishment was to be my undoing, when I was hounded out of the New Zealand teaching profession, which allowed corporal punishment in schools, for refusing to cane boys. But more of that anon.


29 thoughts on “Fryent days

  1. Thanks Jean. Olly Golly, Fryent, I don’t suppose it matters that much. Your’e right about the writing cure. It’s quite scary though, and a bit obsessive of course. Anyway, glad it did something for you and there is plenty more to come. France sounds like a good idea……..missing it this year.

  2. I’ve tried hard – but I, (Ivan), don’t remember the first day, which must have been in late ’47. What I do remember is that one one day in about the second week I got sick of it and went home soon after lunch. Mother got stroppy and walked me to school next day, warning the teacher she should see that I stayed there. She did. For reasons I don’t now know, I hated it. But, not for the first time I learnt that there are times in this life when you have to wear stuff you’d rather do without. As far as primary educations go, mine was fairly useful. My teachers were severe, but not cruel, and, when they were finished, I sure could read, write and figure.

  3. Thanks Ivan. They obviously did you proud. I find it salutary to reflect on how important primary education is to the individual and to society, compared, say, to the pretentious irrelevance that higher education has become.

    • Pretentious irrelevance – and how! I learnt some interesting and useful mathematics at Uni – but a) I could have done it without the wasted time, and b) I eventually decided that what I was teaching as a secondary teacher was useful to about 3% of my students and gave the game away. I’m still a passionate mathematician; but there’s a hell of a lot of math you don’t need unless you plan to be an engineer, physicist, or astronomer.

      • I had forgotten you used to be a secondary school teacher. I know what you mean. I think my percentage might have been even lower, but then what would you expect trying to teach French in New Zealand. It didn’t occur to me to give the game away, the job was absurd, but the subject was a cherished legacy of a colonial education system. As was corporal punishment, whose game I did give away.

  4. Pingback: Your first day at school? | Kirkby on Bain

  5. Pingback: New Zealand days – part 1 | Peter Dewrance

  6. Pingback: New Zealand days – part 2: Dargaville | Peter Dewrance

  7. Ive just read your Fryent days, it was very interesting it brought back many memories as I too lived on Pilgrims Way (number 104) from 1950 until 1962, I started at Fryent in 1952. At that time all the 5 year olds on the estate were taken to school in a Parkers coach driven then by Mr Parker himself, I believe the first coach a Bedford had been owed by the MOD (over the years Parkers coaches became a big concern). As far as I can remember once you were 6 you walked with all the other children from the estate, at one time I believe there was 200 children, obviously of different ages living on Pilgrims Way. In my days there was a school crossing patrol on duty morning and afternoon at the roundabout at the bottom of the Fryent Way I think his name was Mr Wren (senior) then a lady took it over some years later then my Mum took it over until we moved to Wembley. We almost all walked on the left hand side of Salmon Street which was an access road to some pretty posh houses, we then crossed over onto the other side of Salmon Street at the junction with Lavender Ave (on the left passing the then fully working Barnhill farm) we then turn right into Mallard Way, crossing over onto the left until it met Church Lane where we turned left Fryent School was probably 300 yards up on the left. Do you remember the parade of shops on Church Lane? The sweet shop was called The Rainbow, it was a dangerous road to cross and a number of children were unfortunately killed there, I became an accident black spot and the concrete makers are still there to this day, (they were painted green) I can just see one on Google Earth next to the bus stop, just plain concrete now, later on they made it a Zebra crossing with a school crossing patrol, now it’s controlled by traffic lights. Miss Titmuss was the head mistress when I started in the infants, Mr Palmer was the headmaster of the juniors, I was caned by him for being in a gang, not that we did anything wrong just that we called ourselves the Marmite gang! Mr Denny was deputy head he took us for PE in the hall upstairs, do you remember the two gigantic hymn books hanging up in the hall for the children to sing from? Also in the hall were the shields of the 4 school “houses” Nelson (blue) Faraday (yellow) Elgar (red) Goldsmith (green). Going back to Mr Denny I was sent to him for messing about in Miss Thompson’s art class she said “Tell Mr Denny what you’ve done” he was teaching Class 1 at the time, in one of the *HORSA huts, I knocked on his door when he called me in I told him what I’d done, he took me into the cloakroom between the two classrooms of the HORSA buildings and gave me three lashes of the cane on my backside, I never messed about in art again! My Denny smoked cigarettes and I always remember him on playground duty with a cup of tea slurping it through his teeth.

    * HORSA is the acronym for the ‘Hutting Operation for the Raising of the School-Leaving Age’, a programme of hut-building in schools introduced by the UK Government to support the expansion of education under the Education Act 1944 to raise the compulsory education age by a year to age 15.

    • Great stuff Paul. I do remember much of this, such as a kid being run over by a coach in Church Lane, the shops, the houses (I was in Faraday) and the daily trek to school. It was Mr Denny who caned me 27 times even though I don’t think I did anything wrong. I kept it from my mum but eventually she saw the bruises and complained, so he stopped, but evidently he went on caning others – like you!

    • I think I remember you Paul. My name is Dana Talbot and yes everything you said has brought it all back. Being caned by Mr Palmer and that other Sadist Denny was a frequent event.

      • Hi Dana. Great to hear from you. I had kind of forgotten Mr Palmer, but I’ll never be able to get that Denny creature out of my head. I tend to the view that these men actually believed they were doing the right thing. My later experience when I worked as a teacher in New Zealand reinforced that view when perfectly decent male teachers caned teenagers daily. All over now thank goodness. Do you have any other memories of Fryent days?

  8. Pingback: Kingsbury County Days | Peter Dewrance

  9. Pingback: Canteen Days | Peter Dewrance

  10. Hello Peter. I lived in the flats on Bridge Road in Wembley Park across from the tube station and attended Fryent from 1951 – 1955. A lot of my friends went to Wembley Manor, but it was overcrowded when I turned five, and my mother was so disappointed that I couldn’t attend there. I remember a lot about Fryent e.g: the slates, the huts and the school dinners. I do remember Mr. Palmer and I believe there was a teacher called Miss Springbed (or a similar name). I used to walk up from Bridge Road to Pilgrim’s Way prefabs to see my friends Jennifer George and Janet Cheeseman. Does anybody know of their whereabouts?
    Jeanette (James) Tupper
    Maple Ridge BC Canada
    (emmigrated in 1955)

  11. Hello Peter,
    I stumbled upon this quite by accident. How interesting. I attended Fryents in 1970 when I was four. I remember my first day clearly – Mum waking me up and warming my tights by the electric bars of the fire, walking to school in the dark (we lived in Church Lane so it wasn’t far). A kind lady took me in but I was scared and wet myself! I remember her rinsing out my pink towelling knickers and hanging them on the radiator with some other kids pants. then I played with cones on a set of hanging scales. I didn’t mind school although I was frequently slapped for being lazy – now I would be diagnosed with Autism. It made me choose to never smack or harm a child in my care though.
    At some point I was held back because I was very young in the class and then moved up. It seemed confusing. One of the classrooms had stick insects in a glass container which gave me the heebie jeebies every time I had to walk past. I remember moving up to the middle school but we moved to Herts in 1974. A lovely trip down memory lane – thank you.

  12. I din’t remember my first day at school in Mamaranui (but my parents had lots of amusing anecdotes of my time there. However, on moving from Kairara further down the Waihue Valley to a farm closer to Dargaville, I remember my first day at Dargaville Primary School whereby my teacher, Miss Cornor, asked the class who would look after me. Just after my youngest sister, Susan’s, first birthday on 31 May 1962, I had two girls vying for my friendship. Dianne Stopher and Lynette Frost continued to win me over, and only stopped when Lynette left Dargaville. I was sad that I was unable to find Lynette in later years, but my friendship with Dianne still remains despite her running away at 16 and settling in Melbourne where she continues to live. Although we lost touch for a time, Dianne sent me a letter to my parents, and we have remained in regular touch since, with the odd meet in New Zealand when Dianne returned to visit her Mum. Thereby brings another memory to mind that I need to add to ‘My Mother’s Life’ a book of which my daughter, Eloise, has given for me to write down those memories. Thank you Mr Dewrance for the inspiration to actually do so.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s