From Janet and Jim Chignall, who used to live in the prefab behind us on the Pilgrims Way prefab estate after the war:
A few recollections and short stories of early childhood life and times in our prefab, 31 Pilgrims Way, Wembley. Middlesex
I remember ……
- Sitting on the front doorstep looking at my favourite comics, The Dandy & The Beano.
- Worrying all night about my younger brother (Jamie) starting school – Fryent’s Infants.
- Going to Fryent School on the coach which stopped by the ‘Green Thing’ outside our prefab.
- Taking small bunches of flowers, picked by Dad from our front garden for the school-teacher
- Mum making a soft football from old socks for Jamie to take to school, often after a last- minute request from him – just before we were due to leave!
- Watching my favourite programmes on our small 9 inch, Pye television. The Flowerpot Men,
Andy Pandy, Sooty and Muffin the Mule – (I remember crying when Annette Mills, the Muffin the Mule presenter died in 1955). Continue reading